Obtains goods and services for sites. Works through established contracts for centrally sourced items and/or through the selection of vendors and suppliers for non-centrally sourced items. May negotiate local contracts. Depending on organizational structure, may provide leadership and guidance to less experienced members of Purchasing team.
• Procures more complex, higher value items for sites. Buys from established contracts in the case of centrally sourced items; sets up and manages bid requests for independently sourced items.. Works with internal customers to identify understand and translate purchasing needs. Performs related purchasing activities, such as generation of documents, purchase orders and approving purchase orders within pre-established spending limits.
• Identifies and implements most cost effective and efficient way to purchase small and/or local items. Uses various methods and tools, such as procurement cards, and blanket orders to minimize cost and administrative time. Coordinates implementation of all purchasing tools.
• Researches information and develops new cost-effective sources. Establishes and maintains a supply base for products and services purchased. Reduces number of active suppliers for products and purchases.
• Fosters and maintains positive business relationships with vendors and users.
• Ensures timely delivery of goods and services that meet quality, timing and price terms. Resolves commercial conflicts and coordinates quality claims through Purchasing Managers, in the case of centrally managed suppliers, or directly with local suppliers as appropriate. Coordinates purchasing details with vendors and internal groups.
• Evaluates supplier performance for Regional or Global purchased items as required. Reports findings pertaining to elimination or reduction of costs, as well as other relevant metrics and statistics. Analyzes trends and identifies opportunities for additional efficiencies.
• Ensures compliance with Purchasing Ethics, (US) Sabarnes-Oxley legislation, ISO and corporate standards, Values, audit rules, laws, etc.
• Provides training to others. Organizational structure may require Sr. Buyer to play a lead role at certain locations, providing work leadership and guidance to Purchasing staff.
• Supports efforts to implement and maintain the Responsible Care® Management System in line with the requirements of the RC14001® technical specification, as applicable to the site/region.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Science, Engineering or equivalent experience. Purchasing certification or equivalent preferred.
• 5-7 years industry-related purchasing experience. especially in MRO
• Solid knowledge of Purchasing profession and chemical industry. Strong knowledge of contract design. Understanding of marketplace relating to goods and services purchased. General understanding of business issues and financial principles.
• Computer skills; knowledge of office and purchasing applications.
• Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to articulate ideas convincingly, negotiate contracts and solutions to complex problems. Ability to instruct and provide work guidance to others.
• Ability to plan and prioritize a wide variety of activities. Project management skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others; build and maintain positive business relationships.
Founded in 1882, Cabot Corporation (NYSE: CBT) is a global specialty chemicals and performance materials company, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company is a leading provider of rubber and specialty carbons, activated carbon, inkjet colorants, cesium formate drilling fluids, fumed silica, aerogel and elastomer composites.